Friday, July 5, 2013

Hiking to Graveyards


I am trying to get back into the hang of writing columns for the local paper at The Brazil Times 
I know that I am a bit rusty, but I am sure that my writing will sharpen up eventually. :-)
A hawk screamed its unhappy welcome on a windy, grey, wintry day in Owen Putnam State Forrest. My wife and I went hiking on Monday. We talked about how we wanted to explore a new place on our way down snaky State Road 246. On a whim, we jaunted down a side road from State Highway 46 to the State Forrest’s office on our way to McCormick’s Creek State Park in Spencer. At the office, we grabbed some maps and discussed about whether or not we really wanted to hike on horse trails; if you have ever hiked a horse trail, you understand the argument. On the map, we saw landmarks of sandstone bluffs and Pleasant Hill Cemetery, and quickly decided on these destinations.

Down the trail we went. We hiked a handful of miles winding through the woods, up and down hills, and were forever in the mud. Jennie says that I fall too slowly to get hurt, thank God for that, as she watched me fall twice in the mud. We talked, and fell, as we photographed the ice covered 50 foot sandstone bluffs and then continued on to the cemetery.

The cemetery consisted of approximately thirty graves, most of which were put to use in the late 1800s. It was striking to note the amount of children buried in the cemetery; I can only imagine the depressing acceptance of life and death one must have during those times. We struggled to read the grave markers as many of them were marked with lambs, effigies, or epitaphs. Two stones were cast as vine choked oak trees. One grave in particular lay edged on all sides by enormous cedar trees. As I looked, I wondered how small they were or if they were planted by a family member on the day of burial.

I couldn’t help but think that the screams of the hawk were warnings to revere the sacred cemetery, and I did. I even felt a twinge of superstition as I carefully corrected my path as to not walk between the graves of family members. As it turns out, the cemetery is accessible by road, but the slippery, conversation-filled horse trails were worth it.

No comments: