Monday, September 30, 2013

Are You a Good Samaritan?


Are You a Good Samaritan?

Now, when I say “Good Samaritan,” I don’t mean the leave a penny on the counter or the I give my spare change to the baseball kids at Wal-Mart kind of Samaritan. I’m talking about the inconvenience yourself, donate your time, help others in need, be a part of a greater cause type of Samaritan. Do you consider yourself a Good Samaritan? Is it something that is important to you?

Besides blessings we receive for following the greatest commandment, charity work has many other benefits: it helps you make new friends and contacts; it increases your social skills; it combats depression; it increases self-confidence; it improves your overall health, and it advances your career. Charity and volunteering generally just makes you happier.

Have you ever been on the receiving end of such good works?  I know I have. Just this past summer, my family and I were hiking and camping in Michigan at Ludington State Park. Ludington is a beautiful park that is butted up to Lake Michigan. At the park, I met Lois Pauley. Lois and her family have camped at Ludington for 37 years, and she is known as the “Waffle Lady.” Eight years ago, she and her family began “Waffle Wednesday.” They would make waffles for the other campers or for whoever happened to show up. They began with a single waffle maker, but the free breakfast has grown so much that she now uses two double-waffle makers and goes through about eighteen pounds of waffle mix at a time.  Meeting passersby and hikers is what she enjoys the most about her breakfasts, and she says that she gains way more than she gives. To help keep track of her multitude of visitors, she keeps a scrapbook full of names, pictures, and park history. My family passed by her site after hiking in from an overnight backpacking trip in the dunes. Passing by, I jokingly asked if the breakfast was for anybody. Without pause she said it was and started making us waffles. The conversation and food was delightful.

Does the charity that you give, be it time or money, benefit all who are involved? Of course it does. Personally speaking, there were times that I and my family needed and benefited from charity programs. If it weren’t for the good people who volunteered their time and their charity, I’m not sure I could have finished college and gone on to teaching. It really made a difference in my family’s lives—what a good service they provided.

Here are a few places where you can be bigger than yourself in our community: The Brazil Food Pantry; the Humane Society; Riley’s Children Hospital; Catholic Food Charities; the Goodwill store; Senior Living Facilities; rotary clubs; libraries; churches; the list just goes on and on.  Wherever you decide to spend your time, make sure that you are having fun. Remember, your time and work should benefit you and the organization you are helping.

What charities have you helped or benefitted from?

No comments: