Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Paul Harbour's first posting

This initial posting is regarding my use of technology in my career. I am an English teacher, and in 2011, I must learn to use (efficiently) as much technology as I have available to me. That being said, we have MIMIO, screen projectors, and computer labs available at my school. I dream of the day that each student will have a tablet to use during class. It is funny that teacher once complained that students would try to text during class; we then complained that students would use laptops during class; before we could even ask for those technologies, laptops are a thing of the old and tablets are the new--we didn't get to use any of them.

The biggest hurdle we have in public schools regarding technology is the lack of funding. It seems that when money is available (and in Indiana it isn't), it is more readily used in extra-curriculars instead of for new technologies that would enhance learning. I know that if the money were available, my school would do its best to make and use new technologies. Of course there would be the problem of training and teaching the teachers how to use the new stuff, but that would be a welcome problem.

"Fear not," is a philosophy that is rooted deep in my religious beliefs. Because of this, I must be willing to tackle any and all new obstacles that I may face in the task of education. I am beginning a new class that will enable me to embrace change and learn the many advantages to using technology. I hope to use my new knowledge to assist my students in their educational endeavors.

No comments: